Current Faculty Manual (2020-2021)
Policy Changes (Summer 2020)
Policy Changes (Spring 2020)
- Presidential Approval of Faculty Manual Changes on April 13, 2020
- Approved by Faculty Senate on March 5, 2020. Faculty Structure (Section I-A) and Termination of Contracts (Section III E): The Faculty Affairs Committee offers the following changes detailed in the documents linked below concerning Sections I A and III E of the Faculty Manual. We encourage senators to read carefully the documents below:
- Approved by Faculty Senate on March 5, 2020. Family leave and stoppage of the tenure clock: The Faculty Affairs Committee is considering a proposal to provide for an automatic (with opt out) stopping of the tenure clock for faculty who become birth, adoptive, or foster parents. Faculty input is invited.
- Approved by Faculty Senate on March 5, 2020. Emeritus Faculty Appointment: To address concerns regarding research laboratory safety and lab management (as it relates to Emeritus Faculty, Section III G), the Faculty Affairs Committee has worked with EHSRMS and the WSU Attorney General’s office to propose the following changes to the Faculty Manual. We include a red-line version of the drafted changes and invite feedback. The revised documents below are provided in response to concerns raised during the February 20 Faculty Senate meeting. This proposed change is scheduled as a Discussion Item on March 5 and as an action item on March 26.
- Approved by Faculty Senate on March 5, 2020. A cover memo addressed to the Faculty Affairs Committee proposed changes—concerning royalties and trademarks—to Section IV of the Faculty Manual. We include the cover memo, the original text of the pertinent portions of Section IV, red-line and clean versions, and an invitation to provide comments in the following link:
Policy Changes (Fall 2019)
- Faculty Manual in Section IV I: Use of Faculty Authored, Edited Or Prepared Scholarly Material
- Approved by Faculty Senate October 3, 2019 Due to a 2018 ruling by the Washington State Executive Ethics Board, the Faculty Affairs Committee reviewed new language for Section IV I of the Faculty Manual – Faculty Authored, Edits, or Prepared Scholarly Materials. This section of the manual specifically covers materials created and required by faculty members in the instruction of their WSU course. Because of potential personal liability for faculty members, we are advancing this draft language as well as the link to the Grays Harbor case below. Faculty Senate passed this measure October 3, 2019.
Reorganizational Changes (no policy changes included in this section)
- Current Faculty Manual in effect until August 2020
- Summary of typographical changes from summer 2019
- Reorganized Faculty Manual that incorporates Tracks and appointment language passed in April 2019. These reorganizational changes were passed by Faculty Senate on October 17, 2019.