Report to Faculty Senate
For my first meeting as the faculty representative to the Board of Regents, I was unsure of my role and participation. I have since learned more and updated the website linked in the menu called Faculty Representation on the Board of Regents. I will post reports on this page for your review and comments. I will also continue to post links to the public YouTube links as well as the links to the agenda.
Update from Sept 17/18 2020
The majority of the discussion centered around COVID-19, fall census enrollment numbers, and budgets. COVID-19 has been well covered in the media so I will not add to that here. On the issue of budget, the discussions centered around the increased athletics debt projections associated with the pandemic.
The board decided to postpone approval of this budget projections – first by a few weeks and now until the regular November meeting. The athletic budget too has been covered in the media. Note the 30M projected increase in debt was based on assumptions about the season’s play. On September 25 it was announced that PAC-12 will resume in November.
The full agenda and YouTube Links are posted so I will only highlight those things that were discussed in detail or pertain to faculty.
- Summer 2020 changes to the faculty manual to accommodate new Title IX federal guidance (described here)
- Approval of WSU’s System Strategic Plan (https://strategicplan.wsu.edu/). Note Faculty Senate’s response to the draft strategic plan.
- Possible adjustments to mandatory student fees (page 14 of the agenda) will be decided in partnership with student leaders during fall 2020.
- Changes to the First Year Live-in Requirement / WAC 504-24-030 to accommodate student needs.
- Faculty Senate Chair David Turnbull provided his report on September 18.