Blackboard updates/design is detrimental to student grades and record keeping. The time faculty spend correcting BB is too long and too much.

Blackboard’s gradebook has become almost non-workable. Fall 2018 changes altered the way the gradebook looked, and has made it more difficult to see the student grades and more difficult to view the student grades online (for the faculty). This is a problem if you have 20-odd students, I cannot imagine what this is like for a faculty member who has hundreds of students.
This spring, I found an error in the gradebook (that I didn’t find when checking in Fall) that inflated a student’s grade by a half letter grade–not a real big deal, but it alerted me to be more aware of the glitch this spring. What I found this spring was that in addition to the design of the gradebook (which doesn’t take up the entire screen and is almost impossible to widen), Blackboard made a change to how grades are overridden (like if a student turns in a late assignment), which means that even if the faculty member regrades an item, BB keeps the new grade hidden. This resulted in several errors during the semester, that I was able to correct, and just now I almost failed a C student today (grades are due today).

We need an LMS system that is better designed.

Comments

1 comments on "Blackboard updates/design is detrimental to student grades and record keeping. The time faculty spend correcting BB is too long and too much."